As last Wednesday's article brought us up to speed with 5th Edition and its models, I thought that this week I should open things up for a bit of wishlisting/predictions for the next Tyranid model release.
So, I'll start with my own predictions/hopes for the next generation of Tyranid models, but I'd also like to hear what you all think will be coming up next for Tyranids when their codex is eventually revised and the line is refreshed. Please focus on the models rather than on the rules, and post your ideas/wishes in the comments below.
- For me, I think the obvious bet for a 6th Generation Tyranid model release is a Mycetic Spore. Half of the Tyranid codex can choose to take one, and nearly a dozen third-party casting companies seem to have jumped on the Spore bandwagon and are peddling their own at this point. You'd think all those unofficial kits would have GW rushing the model out the door, but no one seems to have heard anything about a Mycetic Spore kit in the works. Here's hoping that when the kit is eventually released, it's in plastic and it is more than a bloated sac festooned with female genitalia. (In the interim, if you're looking for a Mycetic Spore stand-in, look no further than the following discussion thread on Warpshadow ;) )
- Oh, crap. There is also the Plastic Harpy kit, which has been rumoured for some time and associated with the vaporware Summer of Fliers release. However, as I intend to prove when I finally get my claws on the plastic Tyrant kit, the Plastic Winged Hive Tyrant IS the Plastic Harpy...or close enough that it could take on the role with minimum conversion effort.
- Next up on my wishlist, I'm hoping that the low-detail Finecost bonesword/lash whip frames get dumped in favour of a re-cut Tyranid Warrior frame. I love Jes' models, and I think there is no need to resculpt the plastic warriors, but a sprue recut would be the perfect way to provide for a number of options not currently included in the kit (like the aforementioned swords and whips, as well as wings for shrikes and unique bits for converting Tyranid Primes). It would be just like what was recently done with the Tyrant: all the awesome options in one pretty little box without needing to re-create the perfect models.
- I'd like to see some more bits included in a re-cut Genestealer sprue so that Broodlords and Ymgarl Genestealers could be created from the one box, but I think that one is even less likely than a recut Warrior sprue.
- Even less likely would be a recut Termagaunt sprue to include spike rifles and stranglewebs, but I think that kit would be at the absolute bottom of the list, and I'd assume GW would be more inclined to just dump the extra gun options from the codex rather than including them in a new box.
- Beyond that, I'm not really sure what to wish for. There is, of course, the obvious issue that special creatures like the Parasite of Mortrex and Doom of Malant'ai haven't got models and are, likely, slated for a Finecast release. However, as that means they'll be expensive and filled with bubbles, I'm not that interested. The recent re-release of Old One Eye and The Red Terror in Finecost likely eliminates any possibility of those models being resculpted.
- Other missing models include Sky Slashers/Winged Rippers, but those models are probably further down GW's release schedule than they are on our list of wants, and I'm pretty sure that they're pretty low on Tyranid Players' lists of wants. As evidence of how sure I am that winged rippers will never be released by Games Workshop, I need only point you to the recent Finecost release of Ripper Swarms...15+-year-old ripper swarms.
- While we're in fantasy land, talking about being able to buy decent numbers of cheap rippers for love or money, I'll move on to my most wishiest of whishes: a combined, plastic, Tyrant Guard/Hive Guard boxed set. I'd love to see these things resculpted to be slightly bigger/beefier and done up in plastic. That would be sexy, and there'd be more argument for the kit than for a plastic Ravener kit. To give further justification to the plastic kit, why not give the Hive Guard the weapons options of the Pyrovore and put that confused, short-ranged-but-poorly-armoured-and-pants-in-combat creature out of its misery. The kit could be justified by moving the Hive Guard into the Elite/Heavy Support role previously occupied by Warriors. By the Skymother, there's a kit/evolution that I could sink my teeth into.