Friday, May 25, 2012
Coven Raider Update
My concept for the Coven Raider was something a little more than the common Raider+Tentacles. Though it was a little more expensive than slapping some tentacles on a Raider, I wanted to have a Raider that was powered by a Talos. My idea was a bit like the Talos would be pulling the Raider, except it would be built into the body.
To change the lines of the Raider, I flipped the front cowling around to the back, hacked off the opposite end, and started changing the lines of the hull so that the craft tapered towards the front. I sculpted in some gribbly bits to replace the floor of the Raider to make it look a bit more like the craft had been built around the living Talos. Switching the front cowling to the back worked well as I could us the weapon mount to house the tiller that the driver would use: a tentacle from the Talos set that is meant to be the end of the creature's spine! How Haemonculus is that? Driving a Raider by steering with someone's spine. Gross.
Anyway. I've finally come back to the project. I had conceived to have the Talos' spine growing down the centre of the Raider's floor, and I wanted to do up some whacked-out spinal growths to form a trophy rack. Here are the paper prototype and plasticard substructure for that:
One of the reasons I stalled on the project was due to being baboozled by how to integrate the Talos into the front of the craft without making it look like the whole thing had been looted by orks and the Talos was just lashed to the front of it. Initially, I was thinking of using an old Raider prow to wrap around the Talos pilot:
I would definitely have to cut it down a ways to make it make sense.
Then I started messing around with the rams from the new Raider kits, and I came up with the following...
One of my greatest recent victories on the Raider is the swappable weapons system. This is my first time using Rare Earth magnets, and were it not for the tip from Brother Pink to use silicone-based, rubberized glue, I likely would have failed as the force from the magnets would have cracked the brittle super glue. I took two Talos weapons pod bits, glued them together, and cut our a recess for my cube magnet. Then I glued a magnet onto each of the weapon's options--making sure to check polarities first!
Labels: Bob's Coven, conversions, Dark Eldar, Flesh Friday, Haemonculi Coven, Raider
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Awesome work!I loved the idea of this from the off!ReplyDelete
Out of interest, have you picked the 10,000 views giveaway yet? Sorry, but I might be getting a little edgy as I'm sure are others!
Always a fan,
As for the giveaway, it's on the cards for drawing today, so expect to hear something later today if not tomorrow. Sorry for taking so long to get back to it, but I was out of town for about a week.
Great! Sorry, I didn't mean to pester, I was just concerned I'd missed it. Hope you had a good time away, will be waiting in anticipation! :DReplyDelete
It looks great. Please don't take this the wrong way but if I were the fortunate owner of this beautiful piece I would use the added psychological damage by insinuating that my raider/talos hybrid was blasting my opponent with his... custard launcherReplyDelete
Now now. None of that. I'll have you know that custard launcher is deadly.ReplyDelete